Wednesday, March 30, 2011

New things

Ft.Hase Beach on our morning walk
After weeks of restless, sleepless nights with Gabriel, last night he made it through only waking up once!!! Of course this happened because David said he would get up with him all night because I was really starting to get worn out from this new phase of lack of sleep. When they were tiny, we would each take a baby for the night and we would usually alternate who had which baby at night, and we were both tired, all the time, but Grayson has been sleeping through the night for a total of almost 12 hours since about mid February and we have been waiting for Gabriel to get with the program.Gabriel has yet to achieve the Holy Grail of babyhood. With Gabriel only waking up once, that meant by 5:30 this morning he was ready to go for the day!! He was up with squeals of laughter and rolling all over the crib, so with that, I was up too. I got up, fed both babies, dressed both babies and we headed out for a morning walk. Our walks have been taking us to the swings alot lately since the boys have such a great time so we made our usual stop and made our way back home.
Weapons range is on the other side of this crater, also part of our morning walk


Two faces looking up at me from inside the stroller

Today was also a day of trying new things......my cell phone had been acting up (and by acting up I mean freezing at really inopportune times), so it was time for a new one. This phone proved to me that technology has left me behind and I will now have to rely on Robert to teach me how to use it. I did figure out how to answer calls and send text messages, so at least I am once again in contact with the world. Once I figured out how to answer calls, I loaded the boys up to head to Target, it was that time again, diaper shopping time. I arrived at Target just as Grayson decided his car seat was a torture device and would die if he stayed in it one minute longer, so I put him into my Baby Bjorn front carrier (a lifesaver!) and loaded Gabriel's carseat into the shopping cart (also a new thing, our carseats don't typically fit into the front of shopping carts). I have learned to prioritize my shopping in the event the boys enter what I like to call "the meltdown", so I headed straight to the diapers and loaded them into the cart. I wanted to try the Target Up & UPs because someone said they work great and they are much less expensive then the Pampers the boys have always worn. I'm sure I'll figure out if it's true very quickly with two hineys to change all day long. The boys seemed content, so I shopped around a bit, browsing the toy section to see if there was anything that caught their attention. They were delightful and cooing at all of the customers, so we just browsed around for a while. Gabriel got hungry while we were browsing so I headed to the fitting rooms, which I have learned are a great place to feed a baby, they are private, spacious, and typically have a seat. While waiting for the "Family" fitting room to open up (this was recommended by the Target associate because apparently since I'm hauling two babies and had to leave one in the cart I would need to bring the cart with me into the fitting room), I was approached by two women that looked to be about mid-sixtiesish. They smiled and talked to the boys who of course ate it up, and then the women asked me how old they were. When I replied "5 months" they said, "Where's your help?" I laughed and told them that SOMETIMES I'm brave enough to venture out on my own but I always try to make it quick. They looked so confused, and then said "But who helps you?" My reponse: "My husband", they both looked at each other and laughed and said "No really, your mom isn't here, or any family?" I said "Nope, just he and I." They seemed seriously concerned at this point. They said "Do you have friends?" I said "Of course, we have a wonderful support system here." This seemed to appease them, thank goodness, because Gabriel was really starting to show his displeasure for waiting to eat and I was ready to be moving along. The Target associate came into the fitting room with me, I guess she thought she would need to help me, I'm not sure, but I kindly told her I would be breastfeeding and would be ok on my own. She also seemed concerned, but left me to feed the little guys. When I left the fitting room later with Grayson now in the carseat and Gabriel in the Bjorn, she said "I was wondering how you were going to feed them, but I guess you do this all the time."  I guess I forget it's not normal for all people to have two infants everywhere they go. We went to the checkout with our diapers, and of course, my favorite potato chips, Target's Buffalo Wing flavor, and headed to the car.After all the looks of disbelief in Target I was feeling like one rockstar mom while I was loading two happy boys into the car. I got them in their seats, put the cart away and made was ready to go when I noticed a lady looking at me strangely. I thought "What is up with Target today?" That's when I realized my left boob was entirely out of my shirt. Thank GOD my bra was closed. I guess my one minute of rockstar mom-ness is all I'm going to get for today!! Once I covered myself and  we got home I moved the boys Pac-n-Play down to the bottom level for their nap. It probably should have been moved lower a while ago due to the weight limit, but you've all heard how I don't like to admit that the boys are growing up and neither does David. They played for a while and then went right down for a nap. I caught some video prior to them falling asleep so thought I'd share. Here's hoping the rest of the day goes by just as well without me flashing my undergarments to innocent bystanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment